One of the most astonishing feats of engineering from the Industrial Revolution, and the jewel in the crown of the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal World Heritage Site, is the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct.
Pontcysyllte, meaning ‘the bridge that connects’, carries the canal majestically over the raging River Dee below.
Designed by Thomas Telford and Williams Jessop and constructed by John Simpson (stonework) and William Hazledine (ironwork), the aqueduct was completed in 1805, and is a result of some bold civil engineering solutions. A cast iron trough suspended 126 feet above the river, supported iron arched ribs, carried on 18 hollowed masonry pillars.
Nearest car park and postcode: one car park off Station Road for disabled blue badge and permit holders only (LL20 7TY)
the main car park is on Queen Street (LL14 3SG) near Cefn Mawr
Nearest rail station: Ruabon
Nearest town: Chirk or Llangollen
Station Rd, Trevor Basin, Wrexham LL20 7TG