Designed by Scottish engineer Henry Robertson, and built by Thomass Brassey, Chirk viaduct was opened in 1848. It is accessible by foot, with a footpath passing underneath it, or from the towpath on Chirk aqueduct, which sits just next to the viaduct.
The viaduct is approximately 260m (849ft) long, comprising ten 14m (45ft) span semicircular arches, with three further arches replacing an earlier 37m (120ft) laminated timber arch at each end. It rises 30m (100ft) above the river.
Just a 5 or 10 minute walk away from Chirk town centre, a visit here is a must, and a wonderful photo opportunity.
Nearest car park + postcode: Glyn Wylfa carpark, LL14 5BS
Nearest rail station: Chirk
Nearest town: Chirk
Glyn Wylfa car park, LL14 5BS